Volunteers will assist the Refuge maintenance staff in carpentry, plumbing, painting, grounds keeping and performing all other maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of standard plumbing tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of standard carpentry tools and techniques.
- Ability to operate power tools.
- Knowledge of standard painting procedures and applications.
- Knowledge and skill to operate vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to follow work orders.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Knowledge of safety standards and willingness to learn required safety procedures and implement them.
- Good physical condition with ability to lift, reach and climb on ladders.
- Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather,
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Neat and orderly work habits.
Information about the local community, recreational opportunities and weather:
- Carpentry work—repairs and construction.
- Plumbing—correction of pipes, stoppages, etc.
- Painting—preparation of surfaces and painting.
- Operate tractors and light trucks.
- Fence construction.
Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge is located 50 miles south of Albuquerque, NM and 25 miles north of Socorro, NM. Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge is 230,000 acers and home to diverse plant communities and wildife.The surrounding area are located in the arid zone of New Mexico and is generally quite dry. Sevilleta NWR has mountain ranges to the west (Ladrones) and east (Los Pinos). A wide variety of ecosystems con be found at Sevilleta NWR: Chihuahua desert, pinion junipr woodlands, short grass prairie and Colorado Shurb steppe. The state’s largest river, the Rio Grande, bisects the states largest Refuge. The area has moderate climate throughout the year. Approximately 8" of precipitation occur throughout the year. There are numerous opportunities to hike, bike, and explore native-American historic sites as well as enjoying the beautiful wide-open spaces of sunny New Mexico!
Our RV community is a graveled area consisting of 3 pads with water, sewer, and electric hook ups. The laundry room and Visitor Center are just steps away. A small stipend is also provided.
Apply Online Now