The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) is one of the largest urban national parks in the world. The total park area is more than 80,000 acres of land and water. Approximately 28 miles of coastline lie within its boundaries. It is nearly two and one-half times the size of San Francisco. One of the nation's most highly visited National Park Service units, the GGNRA is comprised of numerous sites, including Alcatraz, Marin Headlands, Nike Missile Site, Fort Mason, as well as Muir Woods National Monument, Fort Point National Historic Site, and the Presidio of San Francisco. Each has its own unique natural, cultural, and military history.
LEGAL: All products (photography, etc.) produced will become the property of the National Park Service.
There is also an option to allow you to use your own personal equipment, however you will be required to sign a waiver of liability.
Description of Duties
The Golden Gate National Recreation Area is seeking a Volunteer Photographer for the Division of Interpretation and Education. The individual will be responsible for working as a team player in collaboration with other divisions and possibly park partners in photo documenting a variety of park events, celebrations, scenic vistas, flora and fauna, as well as photo documentation of volunteer events throughout the park. Volunteers will need to be proficient in understanding about lighting conditions, aperture and shutter speeds to capture the moment as well as using digital SLR cameras. (Please have a portfolio readily available).
The ideal candidates for this position are individuals with a creative understanding of commercial appeal, perspective, and use of the thirds rule. Volunteers must possess good customer service skills, and the ability to work cooperatively with cross-functional teams. All images taken will become property of the National Park Service.
- Must be a cross platform user, proficient in Photoshop.
- Must be comfortable using digital SLR, shooting in RAW format.
- Must represent the highest standards of professional behavior including dress, punctuality, client contacts and interpersonal relationships.
- Must be creative, innovative, and understand how to develop their compositions to meet their targeted audiences.
- Be willing to participating in critique process.
- Experience and enjoy working with people.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse park visitors and park personnel
- Currently looking for photographer who specializes in: people/group shots, wedding sites, and/or scenic vistas.
- Must have a valid California driver's license and comfortable driving a government vehicle.
- Volunteers will have opportunities to access behind the scene locations in the park like Alcatraz, Muir Woods, and Fort Point
- Interns will gain understanding about working with nonprofit and government agencies, such as the National Park Service.
- Training in Interpretation, CPR and First Aid
- Opportunities to enjoy the scenery, wildlife, and cultural resources of this spectacular park
- Opportunity to be of service to your community and your country
Apply Online Now