• Other • Tour Guide/Interpretation • Visitor Information • General Assistance
Photo Courtesy of NPS
Goal: National Mall Docents will enhance the visitor experience through information, guided tours, and interaction with visitors to the National Mall.
Job Description: National Mall Docents will walk the National Mall in pairs speaking with visitors and locals alike. Docents will showcase the park by connecting visitors to the National Mall’s rich history, directing them to current events and describing the missions of the Trust for the National Mall and the National Mall and Memorial Parks, a unit of the National Park Service. Docent activities will include roving the Mall, giving interactive educational tours, engaging visitors and assisting the public with general inquiries and information, directions, etc.
Time Commitment: Minimum of two (2) days per month in whole or half day increments.
The ideal National Mall Docent:
• Enjoys working with the public
• Has a friendly, outgoing demeanor and a good sense of humor
• Possesses the ability to communicate effectively with the public and National Park Service personnel
• Possesses the ability to work in both a team environment as well as independently
• Enjoys being outdoors for long stretches of time in all types of weather
• Is available to work a regular schedule
• Is interested in a long-term commitment
• Has teaching, docent or public speaking experience
• Is interested in and/or knowledgeable of American History; Washington, DC history, and local flora and fauna.
• Can speak more than one language (not required)
All National Mall Docents must:
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Live in the DC Metro Area
• Have a cell phone, access to the internet and the ability to communicate via email
• Submit to a government background check
Benefits to Volunteers: The Trust for the National Mall and National Mall and Memorial Parks will provide training in National Mall and National Park Service history, the Trust for the National Mall and its partners, the restoration of the Mall, how to conduct tours, National Mall attractions and local flora and fauna. Docents will have opportunities to to develop their public speaking skills and interact with NPS personnel and visitors from all over the world. As part of the Volunteers in the Parks (VIP) program of the NPS, Docents will also receive the full benefits of that program.