• Tour Guide/Interpretation • Visitor Information
Photo Courtesy of BLM
POSITIONS AVAILABLE October 2013 - December 2014, 3 month minimum.
Become a tidepool guide, information desk attendant, and a wildlife interpreter at Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area!
POSITION OVERVIEW:Hosts assist visitors of all age with emphasis on helping visitors to form connections with the site’s natural and cultural resources. Visitor safety and resource protection are also key elements. Trailer/RV pads with FHU and ocean views are provided.TIME: October 2013 - December 2014. Opportunities available year-round. Hosts contribute approximately 25 hours per week; working five, 5-hour days with two consecutive days off.
DUTIES:• Hosts greet visitors and provide interpretation at the interpretive center
• Hosts provide point (on-the-spot) interpretation at wildlife observation areas. Emphasis changes according to the season and tides, but may include gray whales, harbor seals, tidepool life, and seabirds.
• All hosts must demonstrate excellent customer service skills, show a willingness to work with, and get along with a variety of co-workers and visitors of all ages.
• A basic knowledge of interpretive techniques, Western US history, and wildlife is helpful, but training will be provided.
• Hosts should be able to climb and descend the 100-plus steps down to the tidepools. Some accommodations can be made.
AREA INFORMATION:Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area is a 100-acre day-use area managed by the Bureau of Land Management (Department of Interior). The park is located on prominent headland just three miles north of Newport, on Oregon’s scenic central coast. Over 20,000 seabirds nest seasonally on the headland’s cliffs and near-shore rocks. Gray whales, harbor seals and a multitude of intertidal creatures are also visible much of the year. The Yaquina Head Lighthouse has been functioning as an aid to navigation since 1873. The site is open year-round during daylight hours. Visitation is over 300,000 per year.
HOUSING & AMENITIES Type: Trailer/RV Pads Description: 3 RV pads with 120, 30 and 50 amp available