• Construction/Maintenance • Computers • Conservation Education • Office/Clerical • Tour Guide/Interpretation • Visitor Information • Fish/Wildlife • Science • General Assistance • Weed/Invasive Species Control
Photo Courtesy of FWS
We are currently accepting applications for April through June 2019. We will be setting up interviews and making decisions as soon as possible.
If you would like waking up to sunrises over a lake, sunsets over the mountains, listening to songbirds, and "sharing" your space with a multitude of graceful waterfowl, deer, rabbits and soaring raptors, you will love staying with us for a while and working with our friendly staff as a Resident RV Volunteer!
Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge is one of the oldest refuges in the National Wildlife Refuge System, established in 1909 by Theodore Roosevelt. Nestled between the Owyhee Mountains and the lovely city of Nampa, it encompasses over 11,000 acres. The Refuge provides a mix of wildlife habitatsfrom the open waters and wetland edges of Lake Lowell to the sagebrush uplands, grasslands, and riparian forests on the Snake River islands.
Position Description: We are looking for couples or individuals willing to assist us with one or all of the following:
• Presenting curriculum-based, educational programs for students on the refuge and in local classrooms (please note that facilitating our education program will be your primary duty with us as an RV volunteer);
• Staffing the visitor center;
• Maintenance projects including lawn mowing, minor carpentry, painting, masonry and janitorial work;
• Gardening projects related to landscape and trail maintenance;
• Clerical activities, such as filing and answering the phone at the front desk.
A background in education or interpretation would be extremely helpful but is not necessary. New volunteers will go through a thorough orientation upon their arrival and receive any additional training that they require to do tasks assigned.
Time Commitment: Please somewhere on your application let us know which months you are interested in. We are currently in need of RV volunteers for April-June 2019.
Number of hours required/week: 20 hours each for couple volunteers or 32 hours/week for single volunteers
How to Apply: Use the link below to apply! Or call the Volunteer Coordinator at (208) 467-9278 or email email@example.com for an application.
*Please note: You or staff can terminate your residency at the refuge at any time should you not comply with guidelines of the program or if any problems arise.
HOUSING & AMENITIES Type: Trailer/RV Pads Description: There is an RV pad with full hook-ups available. Access to washer, dryer, internet, copier, and fax available on site. Located 5-10 miles from local food/shopping services. It is possible that alternative housing could be made available under the right circumstances.