Volunteer Duties: The primary duty of Bluebird Next Box Monitors is to monitor a trail of bluebird boxes as assigned around the project. This position is needed on a seasonal basis. They ensure the boxes are kept clean; keep a record of nesting species following specific monitoring protocols, and notify us if repairs are needed. The boxes should be checked at a minimum of once a week March to August. Volunteers keep a log of the activity at each box. These records and volunteer hours should be turned in to the Bluebird Volunteer Coordinator each week. Volunteers are responsible for all transportation and transportation costs associated with their position. This includes having access to a reliable licensed vehicle, fuel, valid vehicle insurance, and a valid driver’s license. Wear volunteer insignia (badge, t-shirt, vest, hat, etc.)
• Be able to walk unassisted, stooping, bending on uneven terrain, hiking up the face of the dam unaided
• Maintain proper records following established blue bird protocols
• Have an interest in working with birds and be able to work outdoors
• Wear proper safety attire (i.e., gloves, sunglasses, bug spray, sunscreen, long pants, boots, etc.
• Possess the ability to remain politically neutral while on duty
• Fill out all necessary volunteer forms and keep track of hours performed (Updated 03/31/2019)