• Computers • Office/Clerical • Visitor Information • Natural Resources Planning • General Assistance
• Assist Youth and Volunteer Programs Coordinator with day to day planning and filing.
• Engage youth in Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park events.
• Plan new and engaging events and activities for local and visiting public.
• Greet visitors at special events and other on or off site activities.
• Answer visitor's questions relating to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and the National Park Service.
• Volunteer may drive a government vehicle, if the volunteer has a valid state driver's license.
• The most important quality is the desire to make a positive difference in our local community and our environment.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work well with a diverse workforce and public.
• Good communication skills, including good listening skills.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Prior experience working with youth is a major plus.
• Solid organizational skills.
• Knowledge of Hawaiian Cultural concepts is desirable.
• Be creative, innovative, and understand tailoring conversations to best meet the needs of diverse audiences.
• Knowledge of other languages helpful.
• Valid state driver's license. Benefits to Volunteer:
• Personal enrichment and experience working with the public.
• Enriching youth's lives both within the park and in local communities.
• Training in National Park Service mission, goals, and procedures.
• Training by specialists in Park resources (Hawaiian culture, ecology, geology, etc.)
• Job training and experience in the division of interpretation and public relations. • The opportunity to interact with volunteers, park staff, local youth and visitors from across the nation and around the world.
Volunteer will attend a week-long, 40 hour training in National Park Service mission, goals and procedures, volunteer-in-parks program operations and customer service upon initial appointment. Time Commitment: Volunteers are required to commit a minimum of 16 hours per week in this position. Flexibility is required based on park events and programs. THERE IS NO HOUSING AVAILABLE WITH THIS POSITION. This is an opportunity for local volunteers who live within commuting distance of the park. The National Park Service is an Equal Opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be made solely on the basis of merit, fitness, and qualifications without regard to race, sex, color, creed, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying handicap conditions, or any other non-merit factors.
HOUSING & AMENITIES Description: No housing options for this position