• Conservation Education • Minerals/Geology • Tour Guide/Interpretation • Visitor Information • General Assistance
Photo Courtesy of NPS
Hagerman Fossil Beds is looking for volunteers to help educate and inform visitors about the significance of park resources and historical sites.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Assist with hands-on activities at the visitor center or at the mock dig site on park grounds.
• Conduct roving interpretation on Park trails. Roves are to meet, assist, orient, and provide information to visitors and can present many opportunities for informal interpretation. Provide first aid or other emergency services (to your level of certification) and other visitor safety needs.
• Encourage folks to come visit the park!
Represent Hagerman Fossil Beds at community fairs and events.
Assist with fossil/paleontology presentations at library reading programs in various communities.
Work with the Community Volunteer Associate intern to develop and present special park events to recruit and engage new park volunteers.
• Be friendly, polite, respectful, and enjoy working with people of all backgrounds.
• Be able to work independently and as a member of a team.
• Be reliable, punctual, and represent the National Park Service in a professional manner.
• Be able to communicate effectively with visitors and team members.
• Previous experience in interpretation is a plus, but not required.
• Wear volunteer shirt and name badge
• Sign a volunteer agreement form
• Record all hours spent volunteering accurately and have supervisor sign off at correct intervals along with completing intrepretive program and activity reports.
• Must be willing to research and learn about fossils and scientific methodology
Volunteers will receive a variety of classroom and on-the-job training which may include: the role and mission of the National Park Service, natural and cultural history related to the park, safety, hiking etiquette, use and care of park equipment, CPR, first aid.
Interpretive VIPs may have access to online interpretive training to strengthen VIP’s skill in providing interpretation to visitors.
HOUSING & AMENITIES Type: Trailer/RV Pads Description: Park will pay for local RV spot with full hookups for VIPs willing to commit for full term and at least 32 hours per week. If a couple is volunteering 3 days per person is asked. No RV? May have a 'park model' available.