• Conservation Education • Visitor Information
Photo Courtesy of BLM
Become a tidepool guide or an information desk attendant at Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area!
POSITION OVERVIEW: Interpretive guides assist visitors of all age with emphasis on helping visitors to form connections with the site’s natural and cultural resources. Visitor safety and resource protection are key elements. Guides contribute at least two 4-hour shifts per month.
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Greet visitors and provide interpretation at the interpretive center
• Provide point (on-the-spot) interpretation at wildlife observation areas including Cobble Beach tidepools. Emphasis changes according to the season and tides, but may include gray whales, harbor seals, tidepool life, seabirds and birds of prey.
• All interpretive guides must demonstrate excellent customer service skills, show a willingness to work with, and get along with a variety of co-workers and visitors of all ages.
• A basic knowledge of interpretive techniques, Western US history, and wildlife is helpful, but training will be provided.
• Hosts must be able to climb and descend the 130 steps down to the tidepools.
AREA INFORMATION:Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area is a 100-acre day-use area managed by the Bureau of Land Management (Department of Interior). The park is located on a prominent headland just three miles north of Newport, on Oregon’s scenic Central Coast. Up to 65,000 seabirds nest seasonally on the headland’s cliffs and near-shore rocks. Gray whales, harbor seals and a multitude of intertidal creatures are also visible much of the year. Peregrine falcons are often visible from the Interpretive Center. The Yaquina Head Lighthouse has been functioning as an aid to navigation since 1873. The site is open year-round during daylight hours. Visitation is over 400,000 per year.
The Oregon Coast can be very (that's very!) wet and windy during winter months. Cobble Beach tidepools are slippery. Steady feet and non-slip shoes/boots are important.
APPLYING: Please complete the on-line application. Be sure to include past supervisors' names and phone numbers if they are willing to speak as a reference.