• Conservation Education • Office/Clerical • Other • Tour Guide/Interpretation • Visitor Information • General Assistance
Do you want to learn how to maintain our beaches while engaging volunteers?
We are looking for someone who is interested in learning about how to support a volunteer beach program. The intern would get a behind the scenes look at how the Volunteer-In-Parks (VIP) Program is run and would also help in staffing with work days at other sites in the GGNRA.
The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) is a destination for both locals and international visitors with its sweeping vistas, immense biological diversity, and unique cultural resources. With over 15 million visitors annually and over 80,000 acres of land, the GGNRA is the largest urban national park in the country.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Working with the Beach Volunteer Manager, the intern will gain experience in managing volunteer program operations. Assignments include:
• Supporting and leading the beach clean-ups at Ocean Beach.
• Maintaining and help keep organized the programs’ equipment and storage areas.
• Clerical work in outreach for VIP program and group statistics.
• Public contacts at the Golden Gate Welcome Center, Fort Point and other sites in the GGNRA.
• Present informative walks and talks about a sites cultural and natural resources.
• Learning volunteer management from the largest volunteer program in the National Park Service.
• Learn about the cultural and natural resources of the National Park Service.
• Experience in developing and leading an interpretive talk.
• Opportunity to work with staff and volunteers from different parts of the park.
• A uniform will be provided.
• Training and professional development days will be offered and provided.
• taxable stipend available and possible park housing.
• An ability and desire to work with people of varying backgrounds and ages.
• Strong oral and communication skills.
• Willingness to work outdoors in varying climate.
• A valid driver’s license
• Bilingual skills are a plus.
Start Date: 05/20/19 End Date: 09/30/19
HOUSING & AMENITIES Type: Other Description: Dormitory style