• Botany • Visitor Information • General Assistance • Weed/Invasive Species Control
Oxon Hill Cove and Oxon Hill Farm is looking for volunteers to help us get our demonstration garden project running. We hope to have just a few dedicated people who can commit to at least 4 hours a week.
Volunteers will assist with planning, planting, and maintaining the garden for the summer and fall of 2019. If you are missing green space in your life, want to work out your anger on some weeds, or love plants and/or National Park Service, this would be a perfect opportunity for you!
· Volunteer hours are applicable to environmental and community volunteer service learning hours
· After 250 hours, volunteers qualify for an annual Volunteer Pass
· Assist the National Park Service in its mission to preserve and protect both cultural and natural resources
· Learn about local history in reference to the park and the DC/Maryland/Virginia area
· Appreciate and work with local flora and fauna
· Practice informal public speaking about specialized topics
· Must be comfortable working outside, sometimes on uneven ground and willing to get dirty.
· Must be able to use gardening tools such as hand trowels, pruners, hoes, hard rakes, and pitchforks.
· Should be able to perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending, and handling materials – repetitive motion of bending and stooping.
· Interact and communicate with the public in a professional manner
· Able to work outside in a variety of conditions such as heat, cold, or rain
· Able to work independently or as part of a group