• Conservation Education • Tour Guide/Interpretation • Visitor Information
Photo Courtesy of BLM
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: Beginning APRIL 2016 and most of remainder of the year, with a 3 month minimum. Also accepting applications for possible cancellations at any time.
Become a tidepool guide, information desk attendant, and a wildlife interpreter at Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area!
POSITION OVERVIEW:Hosts assist visitors of all age with emphasis on helping visitors to form connections with the site’s natural and cultural resources. Visitor safety and resource protection are key elements. Trailer/RV pads with FHU and ocean views are provided.TIME: Interpretive Hosts contribute approximately 25 hours per week; working five, 5-hour days with two consecutive days off.
• Hosts greet visitors and provide interpretation at the interpretive center
• Hosts provide point (on-the-spot) interpretation at wildlife observation areas. Emphasis changes according to the season and tides, but may include gray whales, harbor seals, tidepool life, and seabirds.
• All hosts must demonstrate excellent customer service skills, show a willingness to work with, and get along with a variety of co-workers and visitors of all ages.
• A basic knowledge of interpretive techniques, Western US history, and wildlife is helpful, but training will be provided.
• Hosts must be able to climb and descend the 130 steps down to the tidepools.
AREA INFORMATION:Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area is a 100-acre day-use area managed by the Bureau of Land Management (Department of Interior). The park is located on a prominent headland just three miles north of Newport, on Oregon’s scenic Central Coast. Up to 65,000 seabirds nest seasonally on the headland’s cliffs and near-shore rocks. Gray whales, harbor seals and a multitude of intertidal creatures are also visible much of the year. The Yaquina Head Lighthouse has been functioning as an aid to navigation since 1873. The site is open year-round during daylight hours. Visitation is about 350,000 per year.
HOUSING & AMENITIES Type: Trailer/RV Pads Description: 3 RV pads with 30/50 and 110, water and sewer, partial ocean view. Worksite about 1/2 mile from RV pads.